Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008, a year in review

Well, 2008 was quite a year my fellow bloggers. I worked at United Way and loved my job. I went through all of the rigermoral and finally got approved for gastric bypass surgery which took place on July 30th. Yeah!! I had some serious troubles as far as I was concerned because you see I couldn't have anything cold. Yup, it was hot tea for me in the hot August air and we don't have central a/c. I also couldn't tolerate sweet things which I still can't really do now. Mom was also approved for surgery and it was during her nutrition class that I had a follow up with Dr. Caruana.... this is also when I got a call saying I'd been laid off. No, I hadn't been back to work yet and the only words I heard from my HR director was "We don't have anything for you." No 'I'm sorry, I wish there was more I could do.' just "We don't have anything for you." Oh well, I did the 7 stages or however many there are and thought F-you. When one door closes another opens and that's how it worked. Mom had surgery the middle of September and followed me when it comes to hot vs cold. She went back to work and not long after I was offered a job on her campus high school as the Business Relations Manager. Since COBRA was going to cost me $400 a month I took the job knowing I would be replacing someone but also under the assumption that this person knew. I also thought this was more of a special events / fundraising position. Wrong.
The Saturday after I started there was a fire at my uncle Billy's house. Jess - my ex-aunt - told him that he needed to find a place to live for now and so he came home with us. Like it was really a question. He's still here. I love my uncle Billy but he's mentally challenged and has a gas problem. We have to drive him to work in N.T. and then pick him up again which is killing us in gas - of the petrol variety. He also eats like crazy and goes through groceries faster than any of us. We love him though and he's still here.
Through all the ups and downs the best thing happened and that's Travis coming back into my life. He disappeared for a while but that was thanks to the military. He's safely resurfaced in Germany and hasn't changed a bit.
Thanksgiving was at my aunt & uncle's house and we got to meet my cousin Rob's new girlfriend. This has happened before but as it turns out, they're living together!! Now THIS is news. We love Wendy because she's so not like the past girlfriends. When he gets smart she gives it right back to him.
December came and gramps turned 77. Donald stopped to check out an accident one more and ended up getting hit twice. Once bya woman who didn't know to slow down in freezing rain and the other who couldn't swirve fast enough. His truck is going to be totaled and he is just waiting for the adjusters from lady #1's insurance company. Her little plastic Saturn no longer has a front end after raming into my brothers steel truck. She took out both of his back lights and ruined the panel which costs $1,000 each. Oh, did I mention she took out his electrica system? We didn't have snow so it wasn't feeling like Christmas yet. The job hasn't gotten better and the holiday spirit just wasn't there. We had Christmas dinner at our house and my grandparents joined us this year. Wendy also stopped by after dinner with her family. We had our secret santa exchange and I got 1/2 sheet cake pans which totally excited me.
New Year's Eve finally came and I was happy for more than one reason. First 2008 was coming to a close (thank God), my friend Jen was coming home to get married on NYE and her birthday was new year's day AND I was going to hang out with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. It was the first time in ages I'd worn a dress to. The ceremony was beautiful, the reception rocked and everyone had a blast. Jen looked amazing to in her antique lace dress. I'm waiting for Smithy to upload the pix she took as my camera took a crapper.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

No comments: