Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday Choice

I'm going to go a bit off my beaten path here and talk about today which isn't just Fat Tuesday - though after all the salsa I ate last night, I sure feel it. LOL No, I want to talk about something more important. Today's "Super Tuesday" where a bunch of states hold their primary elections and you can vote either Republican or Democrat.

I chose Mike Huckabee. Now, before you all try to commit me to Forrest Ave for an evaluation let me explain. I didn't vote for him based on his politics - which really aren't so bad when you sit down and look at them. No, I voted for Mike Huckabee for a few very basic reasons:

1) He is a Christian who's not afraid to say so, stands behind his faith, realizes that it's a big part of who he is and isn't going to change because it's "Not P.C." Personally I think this shows a lot of integrity. If he can "I'm not going to change just because you don't like this part of me" then that show's he can be a strong leader in the face of adversity.

2) He hasn't winged any "deomocratic" mud at anyone. Now we don't see a lot of his ads up here in NY because dear old Hill-Billy has such a strong hold on the state but the ones we have seen talk about him and what he's going to do. Don't we always say we want a candidate who'll do that? HERE HE IS!!!

Everyone's expecting Hillary to take NY without much of a challenge, after all, she is our Senator. But when you work in an office that is full to the brim of die-hard democrats and even they say "what happened to what she promised us? look at our end of the state, the end she promised to bring 200,000 jobs to. what happened to her and what do you think she'll do on a national level?" Now, I'm quoting one specific co-worker who has a great sense of what's going on around him but he's right. And the other die-hards agreed. Buffalo is now the 2nd poorest city in the country. We've got our first ever mayor of African American decent and crime is on the rise in the city. We've got a First Lady turned Senator running our state and everything seems to be crashing down around us. I'm not against a woman being in the senate - hell, Ms. Richards was a kick-ass woman - but she stood up, did what needed to be done and said "sit down, shut up & do it" and look at her former state. Hillary can't do that for NY so why do we think she could do that for the country?

Now I can only speak on my experience in my state so don't everyone start jumping all over me. I just ask that we put aside the propaganda, take a deep breath and vote from the heart. My grandfather told me when I turned 18 - "You don't register to vote to be part of a political party, you register to vote so that you CAN vote. It doesn't matter what you do behind that curtain, it's the fact that you can be there."

No comments: