Saturday, March 08, 2008

Community In Crisis

As we near March 31st, the major thing on everyone's mind isn't charity. Did I pay my bills on time? Am I getting a tax refund? What if I have to pay this year? Can the gas prices go any higher or the price of anything for that matter?

Well, we can't deny that things are getting more expensive and our paychecks are growing to match that need; my own included. Maybe it's just the way my parents raised me but I know that I'm not the only one going through a rough time financially. If I'm not the only one that means family, friends and neighbors are in the same boat and I can't over look that.

I'm asking you, my loyal readers- or readers at all - to take a minute to go to www.uwbec.org and make a contribution. It doesn't have to be much, anything at all will help. We need to get to $15.4 million in order to operate the way we have been this past year. I don't mean giving it to administrative costs but to fund the programs that we or someone we know are using. To keep mom and dad active at a senior day program, a place for Susie and Sam to go to after school. No parent can afford to stay home with their children anymore, no matter how much we want to. Instead we are forced to put our children into the care of others at day care centers we're not 100% sure about. A contribution to United Way will help keep the Success by 6 program running which helps to get day care centers up to speed so we don't have to worry about our children while we're at work. That in and of itself is a 10 lb weight off our mind.

I could go on and on about the good work United Way does but why take attention away from the website done by professionals. Take a look around and see some of the statistics. If it doesn't make you want to help then I can't force you. Just remember that it's not just ill deeds that come back three fold..... it's good deeds to.

Buffalo, the city of good neighbors.

No comments: