Friday, March 02, 2007

Right to Privacy

I just posted about my best friend Caron having her baby yesterday and I'm so excited for her. The plan was her husband Andy would call me after they had the baby and were settled. Well, she went into the hospital at 3a.m. yesterday and I had called to ask her a stupid question. She actually answered her cell phone in the middle of a contraction! Silly girl. That's how I knew she was in labor and of course let the appropriate people know - basically everyone! LOL Well, ever since 10a.m. yesterday when I found out it's been non-stop "Has she had the baby yet? Is she still in labor?" Having no answer the only thing I could say was "No news yet! LOL" Well, I hadn't heard through the night and first thing this morning. Really I didn't stress about it because I knew when they were ready they'd share the great news with the world. Well, apparently, non of my "adult" - and I currently use that term loosely - could wait. One of them who used to work at the hospital called up to her room directly. To me this is just rude which only added to the anger I'd already been steaming over since I found out this person had called up to the nurses station yesterday for details. Now, Caron & Andy are ordinary people going through something that women do everyday. They didn't sign a multi-million dollar contract that gives away their privacy when the last T is crossed. So laides & gentlemen I ask you. If a friend is having a baby, or just going through something important in their lives and say they will share news ........ pull up your big people panties and hold on. The news will get to you, I promise.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I was one of those people bugging you yesterday (sorry).

But I agree with you... I certainly would not want a call coming into my hospital room from "the office" after giving birth. I think it crosses the line and it would have been more polite to wait for Caron & Andy to notify us. I'm sure they would have called us in good time.

Jenn said...

NP Chris, really.

Caron said she had just finished feeding the baby and was planning on calling me in like 1/2 an hour anyway. Urgh! Maybe I do have a maternal instinct after all, I was all about protecting Caron's right to privacy.