Sunday, November 25, 2007

Volunteer Firefighters Pull Through

Despite my hate of large crowds (which I've seemed to have developled in the last couple of years) I went to a benefit that my brother's volunteer firefighters put on for one of their own. Together they banded together to sell over 700 tickets, had over 200 baskets for a Chinese Auction, had 2 50/50 raffles that totaled over $700 raised for their "brother" and then there was an additional auction where you got to pick your prize. When all was said and done, the last number we heard thrown around was $10,000 raised. This is amazing and I'm so proud of all of them. Being a volunteer firefighter your "benefits" are bumpkiss but appreciated while you have them. The guy in this case was injured while answering a call. He broke both legs, an ankle, some ribs, his collar bone, dislocated his left shoulder and tore his rotor cuff. I believe there was also a break to his back. If memory serves correct it's because a guy ran a red light. Word to the wise folk - and I've said this because my cousin Jeff is a medic - the lights & sirens mean something MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway they guy's doing great and I'm really happy it all worked out. There were guys there from all over River Road, Brighton, Sheridan, South Line, Ellwood and Kenmore. It's great when a group comes together and I couldn't be more proud of my brother for all the hard work he put into this.

No comments: