Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jenn's Bariatric Journey - End of Week 2


Hi everyone and welcome to the end of Week 2 of my newest adventure. There have been some rough times this week but there's been some pretty great ones to.
I went last Thursday to have my staples pulled only to find out that I didn't have any! YEAH!!! At that point I was down 17lbs and doing well enough that I could start experimenting with solid foods. Over this past week I have learned that I can eat (slowly) 3/4 of a hot dog as long as there is no skin, chicken and turkey - again without the skin - watermelon which has become a favorite. I can do creamy mashed potatoes and am building a better tolerance for cold things. It might take me forever to drink it but hey, you can only have so much hot tea in August!
I have been good about only weighing myself once a week and was happy to see yesterday that I have lost 23lbs total so far. Not bad for 2 weeks! 5lbs was a bit of a let down after a 17lb loss but dad reminded me that women will no only lose slower than men but that I'm not taking in solids. That means I need to add an extra walk to my daily routine which I am late on already.
I still can't lift, push, pull or carry and can't exercise for 6 weeks but with the help of my family & friends I'm still baking a bit. My business cards even came in!
Now, last Saturday was a rough day for me. I was hungry and jello just wasn't gonna do it. I wanted a turkey sub but haven't ventured into bread products yet. Not to mention that anything I tried just didn't sit well so I was frustrated and really doubted my decision. Too late. Being me I went to the extreme and picked the procedure that can't be undone.
Today I went into Tim Horton's and ordered an iced tea and a capp (gotta cover the hot & cold basis) and was happy when they started picking on me about being a toothpick. It's times like that when I'm happy with my decision. It's also cool that today I'm wearing an outfit that 3 weeks ago I'd have only been able to look at.
So ends my 2nd week as a post-op patient. The next few weeks will be pretty telling and I'm excited at to what they'll hold. Sitting up on your own and being able to sleep in a bed were big steps so far and I can only imagine what's to come. Thanks for coming along with me on this new journey.
Love to all,
~Jenn

2 comments:

Christina said...

Glad to hear your update, sounds like there are ups and downs to this whole ride. hang in there.
ps i love the nail color on you!! so pretty!!

Jenn said...

My best friend gave me that great color I'm sporting! *wink*