Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trying to be Kermit........sorta

I've been really interested over the past year in becoming more Earth Friendly. This past weekend I even bought a biodegradible (sp?) toothbrush by Dr. Du-More. It looks & works like a regular toothbrush but it's made from recycled plastics!

One of my FAVORITE t.v. channels is the Discovery Channel. They've got a show called Wa$ted that tells you your earth "footprint" and gives you tips to be more eco-friendly and save money. They give you tips / tools and 3 weeks to make changes. They then calculate the savings from that 3 week time period and multiplies that to equal a year and then gives you the cash. Today's episode the couple got over $2,000!!!! I know I could sure use that.

Well, I went onto their website and took the test. I was pretty nervous but optimistic at the same time. I mean, we do make an effort but would it be enough? Turns out that to sustain our type of lifestyle for everyone, it would take 4.8 planet earths. YIKES!!! I was araid it would be something like 8 like today's couple but 4.8 isn't exactly great either. One thing I noticed was that this couple didn't recycle and when they got them the bins to do so from their town, they were HUGE compared to the ones we get from the city. So, I called our new 3-1-1 number - surprised it actually worked - and asked about larger bins. Turns out, there's no limit to the number of recycle bins you can put out or you can put them in bigger bins of your own or even clear plastic bags! This is great news! Recycling faster means I can clean faster - always a good thing.

I read once that out in California they give you 4 bins of different colors. Plastic / glass, paper, cans and a black one for trash. I think you get a discount on your taxes the less trash you throw away. It might have only been one city and I'll have to find the article again (I'll post as soon as I do) but wouldn't that be cool?!?!?!? Just think, the Green Industry coming to Buffalo AND a rockin', tax savin', earth savin' program! Ahhh...... to dream............or take action!

No comments: