Friday, September 05, 2008

When Downsizing Hits Home

We all know that the economy has been going through a tough time lately. It's pretty hard to ignore in fact. I have to say that it's all about leadership and being prepared but I'm guilty of not being prepared myself. I know I certainly wasn't prepared yesterday when I got a phone call from my HR Director telling me that not only did I not get either of the 2 jobs I interviewed for, but that I as being laid off. The fact that I was in a doctor's office at the time might have been a blessing. If I'd stroked out I'd have been in good hands. I knew we were reorganizing at work and had even - as a precaution - sent out a couple resume's to play it safe. I honestly never thought that I'd find myself in the job market again though. I've been at this job for 6years and can't imagine working somewhere else. With my leaving, this takes my "group" from 5 down to 2 left. Chris left to work somewhere else. Caron got laid off not once but twice and now it's my turn. I won't give them the chance to do it twice, no offense Caron.

I've heard before, many times lately, and firmly believe that when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. Now that I'm 27lbs lighter I can get through that window. I can't help feeling that I've let my family down though. I was assured it had nothing to do with my work and that they'd be happy to write a letter of recommendation / make any phone calls needed. I harbor no ill-will toward our HR Director. She's got probably the worst job in the place and takes the brunt when insurance goes up, people get laid off or basically anything unpleasant. I guess it's how the Hangman in the old west felt. LOL

While I cherish the memories and the friends I've made over the years I know this for sure. I'll never set foot in that building again and I'll never donate to any United Way ever again.

3 comments:

JoniC said...

Hi Jen

Write me when you get a chance
jonicorsi68@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Jen!!! You'll find something that is less of a hassle and uses all of your talents instead of squashing them!!
For something that will pay the bills, check the Civil Service page for the city. Lots of hiring going on!!!

Jenn said...

Thanks!!! I was checking sporadically before but now's the time to make a move!