Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Secure Boarders??

My friend Chris (love ya!) sent me this article this a.m. and I thought it was pretty interesting. Hope it comes out again at election time.


I am an avid fan of your new organization, thanks for keeping the information flowing!
I wanted to notify you of an issue at our border that
I discovered Sunday evening. I live in Buffalo, NY and spend a
great deal of time at my family's cottage in Ontario.
My husband and I went to Canada for the afternoon
to watch the Bills game and enjoy the sunshine.
Our return back to the US was across the Peace Bridge.
As we approached Customs we noticed that no lights
were on and traffic was moving rather quickly. Well, I
find it amazing that the Customs office at our border
was still without power nearly 72 hours after the storm! Besides hospitals, I would
imagine our border crossing would be one of the first
places to be fixed. My husband and I were both
immediately overcome with shock when we realized that
the agents at the border could not research vehicle or
driver's license information. I'd imagine the
radiological testing equipment all vehicles drive
through was disabled as well. There were no trucks at
this bridge, so I'm guessing all truck traffic was
diverted to Lewiston or Niagara Falls. Still, this
lack of security deeply troubles me. Power has been
off in this area since early Friday morning. That is
a great deal of time that customs has been without
their most essential tools.
I hope you will look into this further and see how
such a security over site could occur, and when if yet, power was restored to our border-crossing. Perhaps Ms Clinton who cares so deeply about Homeleand Secuirty issues could be of some assistance.

No comments: